(15 October 2020) - The European Commission has announced the winners of the 2020 edition of the REGIOSTARS Awards that reward the best Cohesion policy projects in the whole European Union.
• For “Industrial transition for a smart Europe” the award went to ‘ESA BIC Portugal - Promoting the space economy and the European Space Agency incubation program', which promotes space technologies on innovative solutions to non-space markets.
• For “Circular economy for a green Europe” the winner was ‘TAKE THE COOL FOOD CHALLENGE - Take a bite out of climate change by making small changes to your diet' for its contribution to reducing carbon emissions by encouraging people to follow a healthy diet.
• The award for “Skills & education for a digital Europe” went to ‘E-SCHOOLS, PILOT PROJECT - Establishing a System for Developing Digitally Mature Schools' which has helped 10% of Croatian schools and around 50,000 teachers and 500,000 students to switch to a new level of education.
• The award “Citizen engagement for cohesive European cities” has been granted to ‘SHICC - Sustainable Housing for Inclusive and Cohesive Cities' to support democratic organisations that develop and manage homes affordable to people with low and median incomes.
• The specific 2020 category “Youth empowerment for cooperation across border - 30 years of Interreg” award has been given to ‘ENERGY@SCHOOL: Energy optimization and behavior change into schools of Central Europe' for developing a scheme to train school students to become responsible for monitoring their school energy consumption.
• Finally, the public has chosen ‘Time is now for change' for its impact on youth empowerment cooperation across borders.